In this project, you will demonstrate your mastery of the following competency:
- Explain the different functions and responsibilities of police and law enforcement officers
You are about to be a graduate with a criminal justice degree and are attending a job fair to explore possible careers in the field. You are required to obtain information on a policing or law enforcement career: either one in state/local law enforcement or one in federal law enforcement.
It is your responsibility to obtain information about the career you chose and create a product that includes: the functions, responsibilities, and jurisdictions of the role; which style of policing it most aligns with; what you can infer about the organization based on each style of policing; the recruitment and candidate vetting process for that career; and which theory of policing it best aligns with, with rationale.
You will be choosing one career from either the State/Local Law Enforcement category or the Federal Law Enforcement category based on your current interests. To review career options, visit the SNHU Career page and navigate to the Social Sciences page within the Explore Careers section.
You will be creating a product to share information about the career chosen with an audience who is not familiar with the career. Create a product with all sections identified that address all of the required elements:
- Describe the functions, responsibilities, and jurisdictional aspects of the career.
- Describe the daily functions.
- Describe the responsibilities.
- Explain the jurisdictional aspects of the career and how they may vary depending on location or specific incidences.
- Describe a situation in which each style of policing (Watchman, Legalistic, and Service) would be used in the career field.
- Watchman style of policing
- Describe a situation in which the Watchman style of policing would be used in the career field.
- Explain what you can infer about the organizational and political culture of the agency based on the Watchman style.
- Legalistic style of policing
- Describe a situation in which the Legalistic style of policing would be used in the career field.
- Explain what you can infer about the organizational and political culture of the agency based on the Legalistic style.
- Service style of policing
- Describe a situation in which the Service style of policing would be used in the career field.
- Explain what you can infer about the organizational and political culture of the agency based on the Service style.
- Watchman style of policing
- Explain the recruitment and candidate vetting processes for the career.
- Explain the recruitment process and what steps the agency takes to approach potential recruits (e.g., career day, social media advertisements, flyers).
- Explain the candidate vetting and interview process.
- Explain the candidate vetting process (e.g., educational requirements, background check, drug test, physical test/ability, financial check, social media activities).
- Explain the interview process.
- Explain which theory of policing (Evidence-Based, Preventative, Reactive, Problem Solving) is best exemplified by the career and provide rationale.
- Describe the theory.
- Explain why the theory is best exemplified by the career.
What to Submit
For this assignment, choose the format that works best for you. This could include one or more of the following: poster, handout, presentation slides, brochure, written description, or video.
The following resource(s) may help support your work on the project:
Website: SNHU Career
Website: Visit the Affinity and Leadership Groups page to access the CJ Career Council.